Monday, April 08, 2013

"Watchblogs"


 

 
Among the realities of this digital world is a whole class of web sites known as discernment blogs or watchblogs...They are the playground bullies of the Internet, shaking their fists and demanding your lunch money.


I deeply resent that. Does Challies think watchbloggers like me are such cheapskates that we’d settle for lunch money? I’m not some smalltime crook. I’m an Ocean’s 11 watchblogger!

 Ocean'sEleven(1960)Poster.jpeg

On a serious note, I don’t think Tblog has ever said anything negative about Challies, so I doubt we’re one of the “watchblogs” he’s alluding to.

Also, I believe he’s alluding to the SGM/Mahaney scandal. That raises serious issues of institutional transparency and institutional accountability. I think some “watchbloggers” went after Challies because they thought he was sweeping that under the rug. I haven’t followed the controversy, myself.

The other thing is a national divide in terms of cultural tone: kinda like Masterpiece Theatre meets High Plains Drifter.

2 comments:

  1. "I think some “watchbloggers” went after Challies because they thought he was sweeping (the SGM scandal) under the rug."

    Ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So being a "playground bully" is a bad thing?

    I thought it was just being in the tradition of Moses, Elijah, Jesus etc.
    People who shook their fist at sin and unbelief and demanded repentance.

    ReplyDelete