Friday, December 08, 2017

Plaster saints


Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and lost without deserving. 
Reputation, reputation, reputation! Oh, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial. 
–Shakespeare

In contrast to Roy Moore, Bush 43 didn't run on a squeaky clean image. As I recall, Bush 43 had a frat boy reputation prior to his marriage and conversion. In addition, his behavior was quite normal for an irreligious male. Ironically, the bad boy image, followed by conversion, left him fairly invulnerable to the line of attack that Moore is experiencing. No informed voter would be shocked or scandalized if a reporter discovered some "youthful indiscretions" in Bush 43's closet. His reputation, which preceded his candidacy, preemptively neutralized that angle. Plaster saints have more to lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment